Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Summertime and Ice Cream

 My Grandpa and Grandma with my Uncle Johnny.


If you know me, you know I love ice cream.

You might also know that I whole-heartedly believe that it is best to eat ice cream all year, not just in the summer.

But I do have one stipulation-- I only, only, only eat ice cream on days that end in y. You know, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... anyway, you get the idea, right?

However, my fondest memories of ice cream are in the summertime, when it is hot, and humid, and icky-sticky, thanks to our lovely Mississippi weather.

Back when my Grandma was alive we would get together with family and fix two huge containers of ice cream.

I'm talking about those gigantic, lots-of-ice-and-salt-to-make ice cream makers, not the tiny, countertop kind we use now.

And we always had two flavors. Always. At least it seemed that way.

My Grandma would make her Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and my Grandpa would make his mother's recipe for Orange Pineapple Ice Cream, and it was like heaven.

With all that Orange cooking earlier this month, I couldn't help but think about homemade ice cream and my grandparents, and so I wanted to share these two recipes with you!



Grandma's Peanut Butter Ice Cream
From my Grandma, Irene Bufkin Parker.


1 (oz) jar crunchy peanut butter*
2 cans evaporated milk
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
Milk

Heat the jar of peanut butter with one can of evaporated milk. Meanwhile, heat the sugar and remaining can of evaporated milk. Beat the eggs, and pour the milk and sugar mixture into the eggs. Strain into the ice cream freezer. Add the peanut butter mixture and finish filling the ice cream freezer with milk.



Grandpa's Orange Pineapple Ice Cream
From my Great-Grandmother, Vermont Massey Parker.

2 cans evaporated milk
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple
2 Tbsp. orange extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
Milk

Mix first four ingredients. Pour into ice cream freezer. Finish filling the ice cream freezer with milk, and stir to combine.

*It is imperative to use crunchy peanut butter for this ice cream! My family has always used Jif brand, but now we use Jif Natural, which works just as well, since it does not require stirring. Peanut Butter that requires stirring before use does not work in this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment